Southwest Missouri residents are more than aware of what storm season can bring. While we can’t predict the weather, something everyone can do is to be prepared if the storms do indeed come.
By planning ahead, the hardships of destructive storms can be lessened. Keep the following items on hand and be prepared:
- Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- Candles and matches.
- Battery-powered radio.
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable food items.
- Manual can opener.
- First-aid supplies.
- Fire extinguisher and smoke detector.
- NEVER use a charcoal grill to cook or heat inside any home or structure.
- Keep refrigerators closed. According to the USDA, your refrigerator will keep food safe for up to 4 hours without power.
- A full freezer will hold a safe temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full and the door remains closed).
- Food may be safely refrozen if it still contains ice crystals or is at 40º F or below, however, its quality may suffer.
- Plan ahead for medical devices powered by electricity and refrigerated medicines.
- NEVER use a generator indoors.